Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee is a globally protected certification mark meaning that only coffee certified by JACRA can be labelled as such. It comes from a statutorily recognized growing region in the Blue Mountain area of Jamaica.
The Blue Mountains are located between Kingston to the south and Port Maria and Port Antonio to the north. The coffee is grown in the Blue Mountain region in the eastern part of the Island. Rising to 2,350 metres, the Blue Mountains are some of the highest mountains in the Caribbean. The climate of the region is cool and misty with high rainfall. The soil is rich with excellent drainage. This combination of climate and soil is considered ideal for coffee.
The Coffee Industry Regulation Act in Jamaica specifies what coffee-growing areas may use the label ‘Blue Mountain’. Additionally, it restricts the use of the Blue Mountain trademark to those authorized by JACRA. Coffee harvested from the parishes of Saint Andrew, Saint Thomas, Portland and Saint Mary may be considered Blue Mountain coffee. Additionally, only coffee grown up to 1,800 metres may be called Jamaica Blue Mountain.
High Mountain Supreme & Prime Washed
Most land in Jamaica above 1,800 metres is a forest preserve, so no coffee is grown there. Jamaica High Mountain Supreme and Prime Washed are grown in different areas to the Jamaica Blue Mountains towards the west of the island.
The Specific Boundaries Defined
- Starting at Skibo and proceeding in an east-south-easterly direction to Swift River;
- thence east-south-easterly to Chelsea;
- thence east-south-easterly to Durham (Samba Hill);
- thence south-easterly to Belleview;
- thence south-easterly along the western slope of the John Crow Mountain to Cedar Grove;
- thence westerly to Font Hill;
- thence north-westerly to Ramble;
- thence westerly to Good Hope;
- thence north-westerly to Dallas;
- thence north-westerly to Industry Village;
- thence north-westerly to Maryland;
- thence north-westerly to Golden Spring;
- thence northerly to Brandon Hill;
- thence north-easterly to Tranquility;
- thence east-north-easterly to Skibo.